Thursday, July 14, 2011

Carrot Walnut Cake

This post is being long overdue..........with my friends asking me for this recipe since I had uploaded the pics on FB :)

This cake is my favourite.........and my family's too. It is just too irresistible! The beautiful mix of the sweetness and softness of carrots with the nutty crunch of walnuts, makes it an absolutely mouth watering cake!

I picked up this recipe from joyofbaking.com. And please follow this recipe to the dot.....this does not need any experimentation or substitution.

Ingredients:

1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts
3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose
flour
1 teaspoon
baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons
baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large
eggs
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (240 ml) safflower, vegetable or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)
2 teaspoons pure
vanilla extract

Method:



  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.

  • Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
    Peel and finely grate the carrots.
    In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
    In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer, I used the hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute).

  • Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 - 4 minutes).

  • Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract.

  • Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.

  • With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.

  • Pour part of the batter into a previously greased baking tin and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Trust me, this is one of the simplest recipes as well. I usually do not put icing on my cakes, hence I add a cup more of sugar. Else, the cake would be a little less sweet.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment